Friday, August 10, 2012

Summer Days Driftin' Away...

So, today is Juan and I's last weekday off for the summer.  I find myself secretly excited about starting school again next week, but then getting a bit sad about the fact that we won't be home together like we have been for a long time. Sure, weekends are awesome, but they are nothing like summer vacation.  I'm not kidding when I say this has been the most incredible summer.  Elena has blessed Juan and I's life in so many ways and by being able to spend so much extra time with her this summer and being able to see her make so many milestones has been so much fun.  From scooting to crawling to pulling herself up on anything, this summer has been full of activity for our baby girl. She is eating solids with no trouble and we are now moving into foods with texture to them...some of the homemade foods Elena has been eating have had textures to them, but now I am starting to leave a little extra so she starts getting that chewing motion under control. We gave her some Gerber puffs the other day for the first time and she loves them.  She's not quite there to putting it in her own mouth, but we help her out with that.  I know that will come soon enough.  I'm just glad she is working on her chewing motions while eating the banana puffs.
With summer days winding down, it makes me reminisce about all the wonderful things we got to do with Elena this summer because we were off from school...waking up to her noises, not an alarm clock...morning walks around the neighborhood and being drenched with sweat when we got back because it was a thousand degrees outside already at 8am...reading TONS of books all day long...banging on pans on the kitchen floor while mom cleaned up breakfast...getting on a daily nap schedule IN HER CRIB...sleeping through the night ALL SUMMER (we hope this continues)...spending lots of days in her diaper just because it was so hot...swimming in the pool for the first time...finding a new favorite TV show-Super Why! (8am PBS)...getting to see Elena crawl all over the house and get into things she shouldn't be getting into...going on a roadtrip to Florida with family...and most of all-just having our days to do whatever we wanted, even if that meant just sitting on the floor playing and talking. 
I LOVE LOVE LOVE summer and I cannot wait to spend many more in the years to come, but here's to another great school year coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment