The last month has been great. We had a wonderful 2nd Easter with Elena and this year was just so different because she is up and walking/climbing/running around everywhere. She wore her first fancy Easter dress and we went to our first Easter Sunday Mass as a family. Last year was an especially special Easter because Elena and Juan were both baptized at the Easter Vigil, so this year it was nice to wake up and go to Easter Sunday Mass together...sure, Juan spent a majority of the Mass outside chasing Elena around, but we made it through the whole thing, so that counts, right?! Elena got to have a little Easter egg hunt at grandma and grandpa's house, which was just darling to watch. She carried around her little Easter basket and roamed around the backyard picking up colorful eggs. Melted our hearts to watch her find eggs...just so hard to believe that Elena is getting so big and smart. She catches onto things so quickly, it's almost scary.
Elena will be 17 months old on Tuesday. She is wearing 18 month clothes now (for the most part) and I still remember when we got the tub of 18 month clothes from my cousin Robyn's baby Maggie thinking that there was no way that our Elena would fit into those clothes by 18 months...she has always run small. Well, here I am eating my words on that one. Elena is getting longer and, may I say, chubbier by the day. We couldn't be happier with her growth. She is a happy and healthy baby...yes, I still give her baby food often to get those extra nutrients in her little body, but for the most part, Elena is eating solid foods at her meals. She is very picky and one day she likes something and the next day she doesn't. We are just trying anything and seeing what she thinks about it. Usually, like I've said before, if Elena sees Juan or I take a few bites of something, she might get curious enough to take a bite. Elena has her consistent favorite solid foods such as pizza, spaghetti, and mac n cheese (healthy, right?!). This week she has ventured out and eaten several hard boiled eggs, so we were happy about that so she could get some extra protein. Elena doesn't like any meat right now. Every so often she will take a bite of chicken tender or nugget, but it's not a consistent like I can add to her menu. Elena does love snacks and cereal, though, so that holds her through between meals. Goldfish are a must, she still likes Puffs, most cereals, marshmallows, and even raisins. We cannot get her to eat a regular piece of fruit or vegetable yet, so that's where her baby food still comes in. At one point, we did have her eating green beans, but that fad has faded. Oh-I can't forget Elena's beloved cheese...that is her absolute favorite food...any kind of cheese. She gets giddy when we get it out she loves it so much. So funny!
Elena is talking a lot these days too. She understands most of what Juan and I ask her to do and she also has demands. Some of her favorites are directed towards our pets. Elena yells "GO!" and points so they go away when she doesn't want them around. She also tells them no. It's comedy to watch. Elena is a very curious girl and when she sees something she wants to know more about she points and yells :Whasat?" or "Whasis?" She is learning more and more about vocabulary all the time. She will be using full sentences before we know it!
So, as I sit here trying to go back through this month, it seems like one big blur. I can't remember what happened that kept us so busy each weekend, but then I realize I don't need to remember every little detail of each weekend. All I know is that we are having fun with our girl and she is enjoying life to it's fullest too. Sure, I was sick one weekend and didn't get out of bed...Juan and E had some good daddy-daughter time. But, other than that, our family has just been busy chasing around a toddler...There...I broke down and said it...toddler...not baby, toddler. Wow...where has our baby gone? I see photos of her pictures on our screensaver on the computer from when she was a newborn and my heart longs for that baby again. Juan and I say all the time how much we miss her...they are only so small for the shortest of times...and what a beautiful time it was. Now, Juan and I just sit back and marvel at this beautiful, curious little girl we have running around and look at her in awe. She is our little miracle and always will be. We love you, Elena Elizabeth!!
No comments:
Post a Comment